Dr. Philip L Fava II DMD, MDSc, joined the PA Center for Dental Implants and Periodontics in the summer of 2013. Dr. Fava shares the same passion for patient-centered and state-of-the-art periodontal and implant therapy for which the Center has always been noted. In particular, Dr. Fava enjoys esthetic implant placement and oral plastic surgery.
Dr. Fava completed his specialty residency in Periodontics and Masters in Dental Science (MDSc) at the University of Connecticut (UConn). During his time at UConn, Dr. Fava served as the chief resident, a great responsibility and honor. He earned his Doctor of Dental Medicine degree here in Philadelphia from the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine (UPenn).
In addition to his love of practicing dentistry, Dr. Fava has always been drawn to teaching. Whether as a volunteer tutoring high school students, a peer instructor in the pre-doctoral program at UPenn, or as a clinical instructor at UConn, he has brought his enthusiasm for learning to each person he meets.
Dr. Fava carries on this passion through his continued work with dental students and dentists throughout the greater Philadelphia area. In 2015, he was elected President of the Eastern Dental Society, the region’s largest and oldest dental society.
Where time allows, Dr. Fava enjoys soccer and cycling, the latter of which he does at a competitive level. When there is snow on the ground, Dr. Fava keeps busy snowshoeing, cross-country and downhill skiing. When not in motion, Dr. Fava loves spending time with family.
Education, Professional Affiliations and Honors
- Diplomate, American Board of Periodontology
- D.M.D. University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine (2010)
- Certificate in Periodontics, University of Connecticut (2013)
- Masters in Dental Science, University of Connecticut (2013)
- President, Eastern Dental Society (2015-present)
- Member, American Dental Association (2010-present)
- Member, International Team for Implantology (ITI) (2013-present)
- Student Achievement Award from the AAP (2010)
- Martin J. Loeb Leadership Award (2010)
- Quintessence Award for Clinical Achievement in Restorative Dentistry (2010)
- Herman Segal Emergency Care Award (2010)
- B.S., College of the Holy Cross (2004)