Pre-Op / Post-Op Care
To download a PDF of these instructions, please click here.
- Take all prescribed medications as directed- Finish ALL antibiotics and anti-inflammatories. (Anaprox, Arnica, Motrin, Medrol Dose Pack).
MEDICATIONS FOR DISCOMFORT
- Anaprox DS 550mg (Naproxen Sodium) 12 tabs. Take 2X a day, with food, until completed.
- Extra Strength Tylenol is okay to take in between doses.
- Vicodin (Hydrocodone) is okay to take if not driving/working/operating machinery. Take 1 tab every 4-6 hours with food, in addition to Anaprox if needed. (**Not within 1 hour of taking Anaprox (Naproxen).
- Swelling is normal for up to 1-2 weeks post procedure, peaking at 2 to 4 days and especially in the early morning.
- First Two Days: Apply ice pack 15 minutes on/ 15 minutes off.
- Third Day: Apply heat pack 15 minutes on/15 minutes off.
- Sleep on 2 pillows to elevate head.
- Light bleeding (oozing) from the surgical area may occur for up to 48 hours post-surgery.
- Control by applying pressure with moist gauze or a wet tea bag for minimum of 30 minutes.
- All soft foods for 2 weeks post-procedure **Do NOT eat hard, crunchy, fried or spicy foods along with small seeds, pretzels, crust, chips, peanuts, popcorn, sesame seeds, kiwi seeds, cereal, bread, pizza, candy, rice, nuts, gum, nachos, steak, wings, sausage, etc.
- Eat soft foods such as: yogurt or cottage cheese, soup, well-cooked veggies, soft bread, mashed potatoes, stuffing, pudding or gelatin, sorbet, oatmeal, pasta, eggs, applesauce, bananas, protein shakes, fish.
- All soft foods for 4 weeks following Immediate load/Same Day Smile® or All-On-4™.
- Do NOT brush or floss the area for 2 weeks. Okay to clean other teeth.
- Use a Q-tip dipped in Peridex (0.12% Chlorhexidine) to very gently swab surgical site for the first 2 weeks.
- After 24 hours, resume rinsing with Peridex 2X a day until completed. Okay to rinse with warm salt water in between.
SINUS INSTRUCTIONS (Sinus Grafting Procedures)
- Use nasal saline nose spray for 2 weeks.
- Avoid bending over, nose blowing and suppressing a sneeze for 2 weeks.
- Slight nose bleeds are normal for up to 2 weeks.
- Small bone particles may be found in the mouth in the morning, they are normal.
- Do not drink hot liquids for 24 hours after surgery. When/if dressing falls off, use a Q-tip dipped in peridex and gently swab the area. If the dressing becomes loose, simply remove it, do not try to push back in place, this will irritate the tissue.
AVOID FOR 24 HOURS
- Spitting out with force and/or drinking from a straw.
- Carbonated beverages.
- Anything Hot / food or drinks.
AVOID FOR 3-5 DAYS
- Cardio Exercise.
- Vitamin E.
- Fish Oil.
During business hours, if questions or concerns arise, you may call our office 215-677-8686.
After hours, Dr. Levine can be reached on his cell phone – 215-990-0406.
After hours, Dr. Fava can be reached on his cell phone – 631-875-0922.