10 Astonishing Facts About Gum Disease May 18th, 2020
Periodontal disease is far-reaching. It begins as “gingivitis,” a milder form of gum disease from untreated bacteria that causes your gums to bleed easily and become swollen. It can end up as serious infection that can result in missing teeth and health issues throughout your body.
In a nutshell:
- Gum disease often starts out “silent” with no early symptoms.
- It isn’t just found in older people – ½ of all Americans over age 30 have gum disease.
- Yes, it’s contagious. You can unwittingly pass on gum disease from kissing or sharing food and drinks.
- Bad breath could be a sign of gum disease. If your breath is foul even after brushing/flossing – call your dental practitioner and find out why.
- Gum disease is linked to other serious conditions, like heart disease, certain cancers, Alzheimer’s and more.
- A few drops of blood is not normal – healthy gums shouldn’t bleed.
- Gum disease can be hereditary – you could be at risk genetically.
- On the plus side, you CAN regenerate lost bone from gum disease. Ask us about LANAP®.
- Of the rare dental implants that fail, up to 20% is due to gum disease infection.
- Missing teeth can shorten life – another great reason to strive to keep your natural teeth!
Read 10 Facts About Gum Disease which you can download and share with friends and family.
Drs. Fava and Levine are fully trained and certified LANAP® specialists. We offer this state-of-the-art laser alternative to more traditional gum surgery. LANAP is virtually pain-free, very safe and can reverse gum disease and re-grow bone around teeth or implants that may be failing. Call us for more information!